It has been a busy few weeks aboard the Sea Eagle. The previous weekend we had an open house for about 40 of our friends. We cleaned the boat top to bottom, loaded her with food and drink and then had a steady stream of guests until well after midnight. It was a great opportunity for friends and family to see what has been occupying so much of our time since April.This weekend, we installed a new BBQ and plumbed it into/repaired the leaking propane system. I was pretty floored when I bought the boat and was told by the original owners that they didn’t like to BBQ? I cook on the one at home (natural gas) all year, so couldn’t imagine operating the boat without one. We also took on 500 gallons of fuel (and treated it with Stanadyne diesel performance formula) in preparation for our upcoming trip to the San Juan Islands.
I finished up my project to replace the HOT halogen light bulbs in the interior overheads and reading lamps with LED lights. The LED’s (from Marine Beam) use about 10% of the 24 volt electricity, do NOT get hot and provide a nice warm light that is in some cases brighter than the old halogens. So far I have all of the overhead fixtures in the Saloon, Galley, Pilothouse and both Staterooms done. Now I’m working on the Heads and exterior lighting.
I also had to drill out and replace the switches on the reading lamps in the Master Staterooms. The Cantalupi reading lights come with very flimsy switches that break easily. A 1/4″ bit in a drill will widen the hole in the fixture enough to install a standard switch that will last the rest of the boat’s life.